We’d like to extend a warm season’s greetings to our OMF family! At OMFCA, we know this time of the year can be challenging for those impacted by multi-system chronic, complex diseases (msCCD). We asked our community on social media to share some of your top tips for coping with chronic illnesses such as ME/CFS, Long COVID, and fibromyalgia during the holidays.
Today we would like to share a few of the responses that we have received. We hope this helps, and acts as a gentle reminder that you are not alone.
- Don’t worry about what other people think. Do what you need to do (pacing, resting, retreating, saying no thank you) for your health. When the festivities are over it will be you who has to cope with the after effects, so do all you can to minimize them and do not feel guilty.
- Be clear and firm about what you safely can and can’t do
- Don’t make changes to your comfort or routine just to please other people
- The greatest gift we can give ourselves is kindness, patience and self-compassion.
- Learn to say no
- Keep it simple
- Remember to pace, and hold on to hope that soon researchers will find answers that will bring relief
Be sure to also check out our resource centre for more helpful tools to navigate the complexities of msCCD.
During this holiday season, we want you to know that you are in our hearts and inspire us to action each and every day. Together, we will find a cure!
May the new year’s research deliver healthier days for all.
Sending you peace,